This Medal of Honor Gold coin commemorative represents the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force that can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Contains .2419 oz of Gold.
- Comes in a U.S. Mint box and with a certificate of authenticity.
- Minted by the United States Mint at West Point.
- Obverse: depicts the original Medal of Honor authorized by Congress in 1861 as the Navy’s highest personal decoration.
- Reverse: features Minerva, based on the common central image on both the original Navy and Army Medals of Honor.
This 2011-W Gold $5 Commemorative Medal of Honor Proof coin will make an excellent addition to any collection. Add this historical commemorative to your cart today!
The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force that can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Fewer than 3,500 Medals of Honor have ever been awarded. It is presented to a person who distinguishes him or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty while:
- Engaged in action against an enemy of the United States;
- Engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or
- Serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.