Cart:

(0)

Gold 2 1/2 Pesos (1948 & Prior)

40 80 120

Availability

Gold 2 1/2 Pesos from the Mexican Mint

The Gold 2 1/2 Pesos coin from the Mexican Mint is a small denomination gold coin that was minted in Mexico from 1918 to 1948. It contains 0.0603 troy ounces of gold, which makes it an affordable option for investors and collectors who are looking to purchase small amounts of gold.

The obverse of the coin features the Mexican Coat of Arms, which includes an eagle perched on a cactus with a snake in its beak, surrounded by the legend "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" (United Mexican States). The reverse of the coin features an image of Miguel Hidalgo, a Mexican priest and revolutionary leader who is considered the father of Mexican independence. Surrounding his portrait are the words "Dos y Medio Pesos" (Two and a Half Pesos) and the year of minting.

The Gold 2 1/2 Pesos coin has a diameter of 15 mm and a thickness of 1.02 mm. It is made of 90% pure gold, with the remaining 10% made up of copper to give it durability and resistance to wear and tear. The coin's small size and low weight make it easy to carry and store, which makes it a popular choice for people who are looking to invest in physical gold without spending a lot of money.

Overall, the Gold 2 1/2 Pesos coin is a valuable and historic piece of Mexican currency that is prized by both collectors and investors alike. Other popular Peso choices include the Mexican 50 Pesos Gold coins, which are otherwise known as the Centenario. These coins are special as they commemorate the country's 100 year anniversary of its independence from Spain.


History of the Mexican Mint

The Mexican Mint, also known as the Casa de Moneda de México, is one of the oldest mints in the Americas, with a history that dates back to the early colonial period of Mexico. The mint was established in 1535 by the Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés, who wanted to establish a local mint to produce coinage for the New World.

The Mexican Mint has gone through several changes over the centuries, including multiple relocations and upgrades to its facilities. One of the most significant changes came in 1823, when Mexico gained independence from Spain and the mint was nationalized. From then on, the mint was responsible for producing Mexico's own currency, including the iconic Mexican Peso.

Over the years, the Mexican Mint has produced a wide variety of coins and medals, including gold, silver, and copper coins, as well as commemorative coins and special editions. The mint is known for its high-quality production standards and innovative designs, which often incorporate themes from Mexican history, culture, and art.

The Mexican Mint produces a wide variety of coins and medals, but some of its most popular products include:

  • Mexican Libertad: This is a series of silver and gold coins that features the image of the Winged Victory statue in Mexico City. The series has been produced since 1982 and is highly prized by collectors for its intricate designs and high-quality production standards.
  • Mexican Peso: The Mexican Peso is the official currency of Mexico and has been produced by the Mexican Mint since 1823. The Peso comes in various denominations and features images of famous Mexican historical figures, such as Miguel Hidalgo and Benito Juarez.
  • Mexican Silver Onza: This is a series of silver coins that was produced between 1949 and 1979. The coins feature various Mexican historical and cultural themes, such as the Aztec calendar and the Mexican eagle.
  • Gold and Silver Commemorative Coins: The Mexican Mint produces a variety of commemorative coins that celebrate important events and figures in Mexican history and culture. These coins are often highly detailed and feature intricate designs that make them popular among collectors.
  • Bullion Coins: The Mexican Mint produces a range of gold, silver, and platinum bullion coins that are popular among investors. These coins are typically produced in larger quantities than numismatic coins and are valued primarily for their precious metal content.

In addition to producing currency for Mexico, the mint has also produced coins and medals for other countries, including Spain, Guatemala, and Nicaragua. The Mexican Mint remains one of the largest and most respected mints in the world, with a reputation for producing high-quality numismatic products that are highly sought after by collectors and investors alike.

To continue exploring the rich history of the Mexican Mint, consider APMEX's selection of Mexican gold coins. From vintage options to the modern and popular Gold Libertad, there are a variety of coins with different designs to suit the tastes of every collector.

210,000+ Customer Reviews
4.9 Overall Satisfaction Rating, the Highest Score in the Industry
Check out what other customers are saying.

Items in Cart (0)


There are no items in the cart.

APXIIS02