Mexican Gold Libertad Coin Sets (BU & Proof)
Gold Libertad Sets – BU and Proof
Gold Libertad coins are gold bullion coins that are minted by the Mexican government. They were first introduced in 1981 and are produced in a range of different weights, including 1/20, 1/10, 1/4, 1/2, and 1 troy ounce.
The design of the Gold Libertad coins is based on the Mexican Independence Centennial commemorative gold 50-peso coin, which was issued in 1921 to mark the 100th anniversary of Mexico's independence from Spain. The obverse of the coin features the Winged Victory statue, which is a symbol of Mexican independence and is depicted on top of the Independence Column in Mexico City. The reverse of the coin features the image of the Mexican coat of arms, which includes an eagle perched on a cactus holding a serpent in its beak.
Gold Libertad coins are minted in .999 fine gold, which means that they contain 99.9% pure gold. This makes them a popular choice among investors who are looking to buy gold bullion coins. They are also popular among collectors due to their beautiful design and the historical significance of the Winged Victory statue.
In addition to the gold version, there are also Silver Libertad coins that are minted in the same design, and they come in various sizes, including 1/20, 1/10, 1/4, 1/2, and 1 troy ounce, as well as larger sizes.
Overall, Gold Libertad coins are a valuable and attractive investment option for those who are interested in buying gold bullion coins, as well as for collectors who appreciate their historical significance and beautiful design.
BU vs Proof Coins: What’s the Difference?
A BU coin is a coin that has never been circulated and is in pristine condition. It is produced using the same techniques and equipment as circulating coins, but it undergoes a different quality control process to ensure that it meets a higher standard of quality. BU coins typically have a matte finish, and they may have some minor imperfections, such as small marks or scratches.
On the other hand, a Proof coin is a specially made coin that is struck multiple times with polished dies to give it a highly polished and reflective surface. The production process for a Proof coin is more time-consuming and expensive than for a BU coin, and it involves multiple steps to achieve the desired finish. Proof coins have a mirror-like surface and are struck using specially prepared planchets (blanks), resulting in sharper details and a more precise strike.
Proof coins are typically produced in smaller numbers than BU coins, and they are often sold in presentation cases or sets. They are highly sought after by collectors due to their exceptional quality, intricate designs, and limited availability.
In summary, the main differences between a BU coin and a Proof coin are their production process, finish, and availability. BU coins are struck using regular production techniques and have a matte finish, while Proof coins are produced using a more time-consuming process and have a highly polished, mirror-like surface. Proof coins are also typically produced in smaller numbers and are more expensive than BU coins.
Benefits to Purchasing Coin Sets
There are several benefits to purchasing a Gold Libertad coin set instead of purchasing the coins individually. Here are a few:
- Convenience: Purchasing a Gold Libertad coin set is more convenient than buying the coins individually. With a set, you can get all the coins you need in one purchase, rather than having to make multiple purchases to get all the sizes you want.
- Cost: Buying a Gold Libertad coin set can often be more cost-effective than purchasing the coins individually. Sets are often sold at a lower price per coin than buying the same coins separately.
- Collectibility: Collectors may be interested in purchasing a Gold Libertad coin set because it offers a complete collection of all the available sizes of the coin. This can be a desirable addition to a coin collection, especially for those who appreciate the design and history of the Libertad coin.
- Diversification: By purchasing a Gold Libertad coin set, you can diversify your investment in gold bullion. The set includes coins of different weights, allowing you to have a mix of smaller and larger coins, which can provide greater flexibility in terms of buying and selling.
- Limited Availability: Gold Libertad coin sets may have limited availability, making them a sought-after item among collectors and investors. By purchasing a set, you can ensure that you have all the sizes of the coin before they become harder to find.
Overall, purchasing a Gold Libertad coin set can provide a convenient, cost-effective, and collectible way to invest in and enjoy the beauty of this popular gold bullion coin series.