About The South African MintThe South African Mint is a renowned mint that produces a wide range of gold coins. Here are some of the most popular gold coins produced by the South African Mint:
- Krugerrand - The Krugerrand is the most famous gold coin produced by the South African Mint. It was first minted in 1967 and was the first modern bullion coin. The Krugerrand is made from 22-carat gold and is available in sizes ranging from 1/10 oz to 1 oz.
- Natura Series - The Natura Series is a collection of gold coins featuring different animals and plants in South Africa. The series was first introduced in 1994 and has become a popular collector's item.
- Protea Series - The Protea Series is another collection of gold coins the South African Mint produced. The series features themes and designs celebrating South African history, culture, and natural resources.
- Mandela Coin - The Nelson Mandela Coin is a commemorative gold coin that was minted in 2008 to celebrate the 90th birthday of the former South African president, Nelson Mandela. The coin features a portrait of Mandela on one side and an image of a South African plant on the other.
Overall, South African Mint gold coins are highly valued by collectors and investors alike. The Krugerrand is particularly popular due to its historical significance and the fact that it is widely recognized worldwide.
History Of The South African MintThe South African Mint is a state-owned entity that was founded in 1890. It is the official mint of South Africa and is responsible for producing all of the country's coins and medals. The mint is located in Centurion, near Pretoria, and is one of the oldest mints in the world.
The South African Mint produces many coins and medals in different denominations, metals, and designs. In addition to gold coins, the mint also has silver and platinum coins and commemorative coins and medals that celebrate important events, people, and themes related to South African culture and history.
The South African Mint has a long history of producing high-quality coins and is recognized as one of the world's most innovative and advanced mints. In recent years, the mint has introduced several new technologies to improve the quality and security of its coins, including laser frosting and micro-engraving.
Overall, the South African Mint is an important institution in South Africa and is highly respected in the international coin collecting and investment community. Its coins are highly sought after by collectors and investors around the world, and it continues to be a leading producer of high-quality coins and medals.
About The Popular Gold KrugerrandsThe Gold Krugerrand is a gold bullion coin that was first minted by the South African Mint in 1967. It was the world's first modern bullion coin, and it has since become one of the world's most popular and widely traded gold coins.
Here are some key facts about Gold Krugerrands:
- The obverse (front) of the coin features a portrait of Paul Kruger, a prominent figure in South African history who served as the President of the South African Republic from 1883 to 1900. The reverse (back) of the coin features a springbok, a type of antelope native to South Africa.
- Krugerrands are made from 22-karat gold, an alloy of 91.67% pure gold and 8.33% copper. They are available in four sizes: 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz.
- Although Krugerrands are primarily traded as a bullion coin, they are also recognized as legal tender in South Africa. The face value of the coin is denominated in South African rand, but the actual value of the coin is based on the current market price of gold.
- Krugerrands are highly valued by investors because they are easy to buy and sell and have a high level of liquidity. Their value is closely tied to the spot price of gold, which means that their value can fluctuate based on changes in the market price of gold.
- The Krugerrand was first introduced in 1967 to market South African gold internationally. It quickly became popular among investors and collectors worldwide and has since become a symbol of South African culture and history.
Check out what other customers are saying.
Learn More About Precious Metals
Buying Precious Metals doesn’t have to be intimidating. Whether you are making a long-term investment or simply admire the beauty of Precious Metals, APMEX provides the tools to help you make the best choice for your portfolio.See All Articles